With an eye on the situation in Mumbai, Cricket Australia (CA) suspended plans to send the Western Australia and Victoria squads to India for the Champions League T20 competition before the event was postponed.
Both teams were scheduled to leave for India on Friday and the Bushrangers - as the Victorian team is known as in the T20 format - were booked to stay at the Taj Hotel which was attacked by terrorists on Wednesday night.
"Given the circumstances, all travel to India have been put on hold. We are in constant touch with the BCCI and the governing council of the Champions League T20. We are also consulting our government and security agencies and trying to get extensive information on the situation," CA spokesman Philip Pope told HT from Melbourne.
"We are exploring all options and holding talks with everyone concerned. We also feel deeply for those to have suffered significant personal distress following the incidents. As of now, trips to India have been halted," said Pope, adding that there is no timeframe as such. "For the moment, we will wait for instructions."
Pope said they had been in touch with Reg Dickason, an Australian security expert who is currently in India assisting the England side. Dickason was here with the Australians too during their recent trip and Pope said he had spoken to him after things started taking a nasty turn in Mumbai.
"I can't disclose what we discussed because of obvious reasons, but I can say that I have spoken to him and that his inputs are valuable for us. We find that in circumstances like these it takes at least 12 hours if not longer to gain a very clear picture and for clear details to emerge."