A good record in the subcontinent and experienced players will help South Africa on their tour of India after a tumultuous week in which coach Mickey Arthur resigned, skipper Graeme Smith said.
The Proteas left Johannesburg on Saturday for two Tests and three ODIs against India, the world’s No. 1 ranked Test nation, after Arthur quit on Wednesday due to differences with the South African board.
“It’s been an emotional week and not many teams go to India and win,” Smith told a news conference on Saturday.
“But our record in the subcontinent is solid and the players who have been part of the set-up for a while have dealt with difficult things in recent years and handled them very well. “I expect them to be as professional as normal, and I’m looking to them for responsibility and guidance for the youth,” Smith said.
Former fast bowler Corrie van Zyl, an assistant coach for the national team between 1998 and 2003, has replaced Arthur on an interim basis.
“My experience of things like the last week is that it builds a team rather than tears it apart,” Van Zyl said.
“I was part of the management team when the Hansie Cronje issue came about and sometimes those things just pull a team together.”
Former South African captain Cronje admitted in 2000 to receiving about $130,000 from bookmakers to influence the course of matches. He was banned for life.
“Obviously the players have to deal with their emotions, but it’s a very important series and we need to focus on our preparations,” Van Zyl said. South Africa will play a two-day warm-up match against an Indian Board President’s XI in Nagpur starting on Tuesday before the first Test at the samw venue, which begins on February 6.