Chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar on Thursday decided to abide with the BCCI gag order and discontinue writing columns for newspapers.
Speaking on the issue Board vice-president Rajiv Shukla said that the former India skipper has given us a “categorical assurance” on that front.
Consequently the BCCI, which was planning to issue a show cause notice to Vengsarkar have now decided against taking any action.
Earlier, Vengsarkar had marathon-meeting with BCCI President Sharad Pawar and other top officials at the Ferozshah Kotla. “He had a long meeting with president Sharad Pawar and other top BCCI officials and has finally agreed to our demands,” said Shukla.
Vengsarkar, who watched the proceedings of the first day’s play between India and Pakistan, did not take calls nor interact with the media at Kotla.
The BCCI, which had issued a gag order on selectors, threatened to slap a show cause notice telling him that he could quit the post of chief selector if he continued to function as a columnist.
Vengsarkar, whose columns appeared in Hindi paper Amar Ujala and Marathi daily Sakal, had earlier decided to ignore the BCCI orders. But on Thursday when his columns were in the respective dailies, the Board decided to toughen its stand.
“If he wants to continue as a columnist, he can give up the post of the chief selector,” said Shukla.
The BCCI had recently issued a seven-point guideline to the selectors which not only barred them from writing columns but also sitting in the Indian dressing room during international matches.