Launching a full-scale war against Lalit Modi, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) filed an official criminal complaint against the former IPL commissioner with the Tamil Nadu Police on Wednesday charging him with financial misappropriation to the tune of Rs 470 crore.
BCCI secretary N Srinivasan met the Chennai City Police Commissioner T Rajendran and submitted a detailed 25-page complaint listing out the alleged frauds committed by Lalit Modi. The complaint is against Lalit Modi and six others. Neither Srinivasan nor Chennai city police commissioner divulged the names of the other six.
After lodging the complaint, Srinivasan told press persons that at a full general body meeting of the BCCI held last week, several aspects relating to the financial misappropriation were detected. It was then decided to file a criminal complaint on the basis of the findings, he said.
Modi is alleged to have committed serious irregularities in allotting media rights, free commercial time on television and also fudged accounts relating to the costs of purchase of security equipment. The name of a company, Visual Impact, is being mentioned in this regard in the complaint. The BCCI alleged that Modi cheated the BCCI and misappropriated funds when organising the IPL.
City commissioner Rajendran confirmed the receipt of the complaint and said, "We are registering a case. But it is a lengthy complaint, running into some 25 pages and we need time to process it. Only after that we would see who needs to be interrogated, as the complaint is against Modi and six others,” the commissioner told HT. "First let me get through the process of filing the FIR," he said.
"There are three main charges...It is a detailed complaint that they have given," Rajendran said.
The charges and the charged
BCCI has filed criminal complaints on numerous charges. HT’s Amol Karkadhar takes an indepth look:
The WSG held the international television, global radio, mobile and internet rights for the IPL till the end of season 10. However, the BCCI alleges that Modi coerced Sony, the official broadcasters, into believing that WSG Mauritius held the rights for IPL. As a result, the alleged kickback of Rs 425 crore for the reworked deal between Multi Screen Media, the parent company of Sony, and WSG India went into Modi's pocket.
Persons named besides Modi: Venu Nair, Group Director, WSG; Harish Krishnamachar, Vice President, WSG; Seamus O' Brien, Director, WSG. While Krishnamachar could not be reached, Nair did not respond to calls and text messages by HT.
Mid-over advertisement deal:
According to the broadcast agreement between BCCI-IPL and Multi Screen Media (MSM), the latter had commercial rights for 2600 seconds per match. However, on the insistence of Modi, a revised agreement included 150 seconds per match during overs when the ball was idle.
For this additional revenue option, BCCI president Shashank Manohar had advised Modi to float a tender during the governing council meeting on March 7. Though a cocktail company offered Rs 7.5 lakh per 10 seconds for these slots, the rights were eventually awarded to Pioneer Digadys, an advertising sales company, without a tender being floated.
Persons named besides Modi: Kunal Dasgupta, former Set Max boss who is believed to have been awarded the rights.
Security vans deal:
Modi signed a contract to provide security vehicles worth Rs 5.5 crore with a Delhi-based firm, Visual Impact. It then emerged that the firm offloaded the contract to Petronet Cyber Solutions for Rs 1.5 crore. When a BCCI team visited the address of Visual Media, it turned out to be a guest house. This means the firm didn't exist and Rs four crore was misappropriated.