Eden Test match on schedule despite threats: Ray
The 2nd Test match between India and Pakistan will be held here as scheduled from November 30, despite an e-mail threat to disrupt the match and kill the Pakistani cricketers.cricket Updated: Nov 27, 2007 19:48 IST
The 2nd Test match between India and Pakistan will be held here as scheduled from November 30, despite an e-mail threat to disrupt the match and kill the Pakistani cricketers.
"The match will be held as scheduled," West Bengal Home Secretary Prasad Ranjan Roy told newsmen here today, adding that security for the Pakistan team had been strengthened after receiving the e-mail yesterday.
In reply to a question, Roy said the e-mail had been sent from Delhi, but the sender had not yet been identified.
He said the matter was being looked into by Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau and Research and Analysis Wing. The city police was also on alert, Roy added.
Stating that he had heard about the e-mail, Sports minister Subhas Chakraborty said he would go to watch the Test match, nevertheless.
"I am not afraid of such threats. I will go to Eden, but I cannot tell you now when I will be there," he said.
The mail, having the yahoo.Co.In IP, was forwarded to the Kolkata Police address by a private TV channel at around 5 pm yesterday after receiving it.
After receiving it, Kolkata police officials held a high-level meeting at headquarters to take stock of security arrangements at the Eden Gardens, the venue of the match.
Joint Commissioner of Police S N Sarkar, who attended the meeting yesterday, said close-circuit cameras would be installed at all the 17 gates of Eden as a security measure.