The England cricket team, which arrived here on a transit halt left for home on Saturday morning.
The team which reached here from Bhubaneshwar last evening had been put in a reputed city hotel for the night stay. The entire hotel was put under high security vigil with even the media barred from interacting with the team. The team had cut short their one-day series following the volatile situation in Mumbai.
England were scheduled to stay in Taj in Mumbai, one of the hotels under terrorist attack, during the second match to be held from December 19 to 23.
Experts to decide on return to India: Morris
London: England Professional Cricketers Association chief executive Sean Morris has said that a decision on national side’s return to India for the two Test matches would be taken after consultation with security experts, even as BCCI has started attempts to salvage the series.
The BCCI on Friday shifted the venue for the second Test from terror-hit Mumbai to Chennai after the remaining two one-dayers between the two sides was called off following the terror attacks in Mumbai.
“The players want to spend some time with their families, who are obviously concerned. The ECB and the security experts will carry out a full review and analysis of the situation out there. Then we will sit down with the players and discuss the situation,” Morris was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
Players, administrators back team’s decision
London: England cricketers’ decision to abandon the one-day series against India and return home after the terror attack in Mumbai has been backed by the nation’s cricket fraternity, which termed it a ‘sensible’ move.
“It was absolutely the right decision to come home. The England cricket team are very high-profile individuals. If these fanatics are going to target people then the England cricket side could be a very big target for them,” ECB chairman Lord MacLaurin said.
Former England coach David Lloyd said, “I know the plan is still for the Test series to go ahead but I can't see how it can under these circumstances.”
England should go back for Tests, say former captains
London: Former captains Bob Willis and David Gower have joined Ian Botham and Mike Atherton in urging the English team to return to India and play the two-Test series next month.
Willis and Gower backed the decision to abandon the one-day series but felt if England do not return to India for the two Tests the same treatment could be meted out to them by visiting sides when such a situation arises in the country.