England rejects 3 offers for $20m T20 matches | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

England rejects 3 offers for $20m T20 matches

England has rejected three offers worth $20 million each for one-off games due to concerns about accepting cash windfalls, prompted by the fiasco involving Allen Stanford's short-lived series.

cricket Updated: May 23, 2009 16:42 IST

England has rejected three offers worth $20 million each for one-off games due to concerns about accepting cash windfalls, prompted by the fiasco involving Allen Stanford's short-lived series.

Giles Clarke, chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, said he had been "staggered" by the offers that had been made since the collapse of the organization's five-year $100 million-deal with Stanford.

The Texan tycoon's assets have been frozen since February while he is under investigation for alleged fraud in the United States.

One of the offers the ECB rejected is thought to have come from the Middle East.

"We've got a very crowded calendar and we need to look at those types of proposals - there are serious issues about whether we should be playing individual games for very large sums of money," Clarke said. "There's a strong debate about it, so I don't think it's something the board would view with much favor."

The ECB signed a deal with Stanford in June last year for five winner-take-all $20 million Twenty20 games between England and a West Indies all-star XI with a prize fund of $20 million to be awarded to the winner.