Have extended the deadline for BCCI till tonight: Shaharyar
A day after publicly “giving up hopes” on the proposed Indo-Pak cricket series taking place, PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan on Monday once again extended deadline for BCCI “till tonight” to take a final call on the series.cricket Updated: Dec 14, 2015 20:42 IST
A day after publicly “giving up hopes” on the proposed Indo-Pak cricket series taking place, PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan on Monday once again extended deadline for BCCI “till tonight” to take a final call on the series.
Talking to the media in Lahore, the PCB chief said the series was still not officially called off.
“I have asked (England and Wales Cricket Board president) Giles Clarke to bring an answer from India. He is going to call me in the evening to tell me the final reply from the Indians,” he said.
Clarke is believed to be playing the role of a mediator between the Pakistan and Indian Cricket Boards and was also present at a meeting between Khan and BCCI chief Shashank Manohar in Dubai last month.
While the Indians have yet to come up with a definite yes or no to the series, Khan’s deadlines also don’t appear to be ending.
Reminded by the media that there was growing criticism on the PCB’s insistence on playing the series with India and his daily statements on the issue, Khan said it was all for cricket.
“The PCB only wants that cricket be played between the two countries and we are making every effort in this regard,” he added.
Khan didn’t elaborate when asked what the PCB planned to do if the Indians didn’t confirm the series but reiterated:
“We have taken our decision. We want to play against India. It is their decision now.”
The PCB chief had said last week that had written another letter to the BCCI President but Manohar denied on Monday receiving such a letter.
When asked about this Khan maintained he had sent the letter but declined to comment on Manohar’s statement. Khan also said that even if the Indians confirmed the series now the PCB was willing to go ahead with it in Sri Lanka.
“If we get a positive reply now we can do it. It will be very difficult but we will manage a series against India if they say yes,” he said.