Doug Bollinger's replacement in the Australia squad will be announced in the next couple of days with Mike Hussey possibly in line for a World Cup reprieve, captain Ricky Ponting said on Saturday.
Australian fast bowler Bollinger was ruled out of the World Cup with a left ankle injury and subsequently returned home.
“They (selectors) have been saying all this week that they will wait till the end of this Sri Lankan game and make an announcement then,” Ponting said after rain forced the abandonment of their Saturday showdown with the co-hosts.
“It's obviously to give Mike Hussey an opportunity to play a Sheffield Shield game back in Australia. The one-day final is now out of the way in which (Peter) Siddle and Dirk Nannes both played as well.
“They got a good look at those two plus a good look at Hussey this week. So I am pretty sure that the decision is going to be made in the next couple of days.” The injury to Bollinger has brightened the chances of the experienced Hussey being handed a dream comeback after he was omitted from the squad last month.