I was scared I’d offend, abuse someone: Sehwag on WT20 commentary stint
Cricketer Virender Sehwag talks about how much he enjoyed being at the commentary box at the recently concluded T20 World Cup.cricket Updated: Apr 15, 2016 23:36 IST
After enthralling every Indian with his explosive batting style, former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag awed fans with his commentating skills during the recently concluded ICC World T20 in India.
When we got in touch with the 37-year-old and asked him about his new profession, he shared that unlike batting, he had to stay cautious while on air.
“I was free to speak my mind often. Lekin Dhyan rakhna padta tha ki kahin kuch aisa waisa na bol dun, ya koi gaali waali na nikal jaaye thoda emotional hokar (laughs). Thoda basha aur emotion ko control karna padta tha (I had to be careful about what I say on air so that I don’t offend people),” he shares.
Presenting the matches as a Hindi commentator, Sehwag’s unique style saw the former Indian opener wisecrack about different situations during the game, and, just like his batting, his fans loved his “fearless” commentary.
Interestingly, Sehwag reveals that he didn’t prepare before he got into the commentators’ box. “I had thought that I will talk exactly like we used to talk in a locker room,” he says, adding, “So things like ‘ye catch toh sholay ka thakur bhi pakad leta’ or ‘Yeh sikka toh Sholay ka sikka hai’, were all things that we used to joke about in the dressing room. I wanted to tell the same stories on air as well.”
Sehwag paired up with former Pakistani bowler Shoaib Akhtar in the commentator’s box and the banter between the two former players bowled everyone over. “Shoaib and me are good friends. But the audience loved our war of words,” he says.
Famous One Liners by Sehwag
1) Abhi abhi Nehra kuch samjha kar gaye hain Pandya ko, shayad apna anubhav bata kar gaye hain. Iska fayda bhi ho sakta hai aur nuksaan bhi.
2) Do kar ki izzat karta hai har batsman. Tendulkar and perfect yorker.
3) Super over nahi hona chahiye warna humein der tak commentary karni padegi and bachhon ko bhi der tak jagna padega.
4) Boss ki wife ko, Haathi ke size ko, Aur Nehra Ji ke advice ko, saara Dash salaam Karta hai.
5) (to Shoaib Akhtar: after Australia’s quick start vs India): 4 overs, 54 runs. Aisa bohot baar kiya hai India ne Pakistan ke khilaaf.
6) Sehwag sings to Akhtar: Mauka Mauka, Aap ke liye kal phir ayega Mauka Mauka.
7) Kehte Hain cricket anishchtaon ka khel hain, aur yahan sabhi prediction fail hain .
8) Aaj NZ ke umpire ko traffic police bana diya hai. Signal diya ja rahe hain .
9) Yeh Catch toh Sholay Ka Thakur Bhi Pakad Leta .