International Cricket Council president, Sharad Pawar, on Monday said that despite allegations of match-fixing against Pakistani cricketers, the one-day series between England and Pakistan would continue and the world cricket body would take appropriate action after the investigations by the London police were concluded.
“It is the desire of the ICC, England and Pakistan boards that the game is continued,” Pawar told reporters in Mumbai after holding a teleconference with top ICC officials, Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Ejaz Butt, and England and Wales Board chairman, Giles Clarke, on Monday evening.
“I had detailed discussion with Giles Clarke, Ijaz Butt, ICC vice-president Alan Issac, CEO Haroon Lorgat, anti-corruption wing in-charge Ravi Sawani and a few officials of the ICC.
We discussed in depth the Pakistani players’ issue. One thing is that the British police have not completed their investigation. Neither any player has been arrested nor called for interrogation,” he said.
“There is no prima-facie case so far and the PCB cannot take any action till then. ICC is waiting to get some definite information; we hope to get it within two-three days. Then we can take appropriate action, if required,” he added.
The London police, the ICC’s Anti Corruption and Securities unit and the PCB are probing the incident.
Pawar informed that the PCB chief Butt was preparing a confidential report and would soon submit a report on the spot-fixing allegations to the Pakistani Prime Minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani, and the President, Asif Ali Zardari.
Pawar also ruled out any Indian connection to the match-fixing allegations, saying there was no question about it. “Don’t bring disrepute to the country,” he said, when asked about a possible Indian link to the allegations.
Before the teleconference, Pawar had said that the spot-fixing allegations against Pakistani players were serious.
He had said that, if established, the individual boards and the ICC would take a serious view of the matter.