International Cricket Council (ICC) vice-president Sharad Pawar Saturday said the governing body could give its verdict on the Ferozshah Kotla pitch fiasco by next week.
Pawar refused to give his view on the issue even after ICC President David Morgan's recent comments that the ICC does not want an important cricketing center like New Delhi being deprived of hosting the 2011 World Cup matches.
"I am not going to give any opinion on this issue. The ICC is yet to finally take a decision (on Ferozshah Kotla) and the process is on. The BCCI is expecting a response from the ICC probably next week or in two weeks," Pawar said after chairing the meeting of the World Cup Organising Committee here.
Kotla is facing the prospect of a ban after dangerous pitch conditions forced the abandonment of an India-Sri Lanka one-dayer last month in New Delhi. If the pitch is found to be "unfit" under ICC regulations, Kotla could be banned for 12 to 24 months, which prevent it from hosting any World Cup matches in 2011.
ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said the ICC has received a response from the BCCI on the matter and it will not be prudent on his part to speculate the outcome.