Already assured of hosting the 2016 World T20, India have also offered to be on stand-by for next year's event if venues in Bangladesh aren't ready. This was stated by Jagmohan Dalmiya, the interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), here on Thursday.
Bangladesh though are confident of getting things ready by December, an official of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) told HT over the phone from Dhaka. The official requested anonymity because he isn't authorised to speak to the media on this.
"Four venues — Cox's Bazar, Chittagong, Mirpur and Sylhet — are doubtful for next year's World T20. We have given a guarantee that we will be on stand-bye if the venues aren't complete by December," said Dalmiya.
Having lost a 50-over World Cup match, against England, in 2011 because the Eden Gardens wasn't ready, Dalmiya clarified it isn't something India is looking forward to.
The BCB official said Chittagong and Mirpur were ready but accepted that Cox's Bazar and Sylhet were not. "However, our government has given a guarantee (to the ICC) that both will be ready by December," the official said. An inspection from the International Cricket Council (ICC) is due in September.
The ICC has allotted the 2014 World T20 to Bangladesh from March 16 to April 6.
Status quo on WADA clause
India will continue to not abide by the whereabouts clause required by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), said Dalmiya. At the ICC's annual conference in London last week, Dalmiya said, the BCCI said it isn't possible to notify players' whereabouts when they weren't part of the national squad or at a preparatory camp.