It will be "impossible" for the India cricket team to tour Pakistan next month in the wake of the Mumbai militant attacks, former skipper Sunil Gavaskar said.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has sought government permission for the January 13 to February 19 tour involving three tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 international.
It has yet to receive a response but the chances of the tour going ahead are bleak due to strained political ties between the neighbours after last month's attacks that killed at least 179 people.
"I think under the present circumstance, when at the highest political and diplomatic level there has been a fallout because of what has happened, I think cricket would not be an exception," Gavaskar told India's CNN-IBN channel late on Wednesday.
"Cricket would be affected by all that unless the signals come from the highest political level. I don't see why cricket won't follow the suit and so at the moment it is impossible to go ahead with the tour."
Teams have also refused to tour Pakistan over security concerns following a spate of suicide bombings. The International Cricket Council (ICC) postponed September's Champions Trophy over player safety issues.