Bangladesh cricket team captain Mushfiqur Rahim has had a topsy-turvy Test career but the sight of India seems to bring out the best in him. On Saturday, Mushfiqur Rahim became the fourth Bangladesh batsman to join the 3000-run club on the third day of the one-off Test against India in Hyderabad. (Day 3 highlights)
He reached the milestone during an unbeaten 81-run knock. Mushfiqur and Shakib Al Hasan stitched 107 runs for the fifth wicket to lead a fightback. Shakib also recorded his maiden half-century against India. He was dismissed on 82, made off 103 balls with 14 fours. (Scorecard)
Other statistical highlights:
1. This was only Bangladesh’s fourth century stand against India. It was also the second-best stand for this wicket, after the 115-run partnership between Aftab Ahmed and Mohammad Ashraful at Chittagong in 2004-05.
- 200 (2nd wicket) Junaid Siddique/Tamim Iqbal, Dhaka 2009-10
- 115 (5th wicket) Aftab Ahmed/Mohammad Ashraful, Chittagong 2004-05
- 108 (7th wicket) Mahmudullah/Mushfiqur Rahim, Chittagong 2009-10
- 107 (5th wicket) Mushfiqur Rahim/Shakib Al Hasan, Hyderabad 2016-17
- 93 (7th wicket) Aminul Islam/Khaled Mashud, Dhaka 2000-01
2. Mushfiqur’s average of 67 against India cricket team is his best against any opposition. He has scored 268 runs with one century and one fifty in six innings from the four Tests he has played against India. Mushfiqur is the 184th batsman overall to complete 3000 runs in Tests.
3. Tamim Iqbal (3467 runs in 89 innings, 47 Tests), Shakib Al Hasan (3295 runs in 87 innings, 47 Tests) and Habibur Bashar (3026 runs in 99 innings, 50 Tests) are the only Bangladesh cricketers to have scored 3000 runs before Mushfiqur. The Bangladesh captain, who made his Test debut against England at Lord’s on May 26, 2005, took 11 years and 262 days to achieve this milestone.
4. On a flat pitch that has aided batsmen so far, Bangladesh have batted for 104 overs, their second longest innings against India, after the 153.3 overs faced in their maiden Test in Dhaka in November, 2000.
(Stats by Pervez Qaiser)