J&K cricketer detained in Bangalore; Association demands apology | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

J&K cricketer detained in Bangalore; Association demands apology

cricket Updated: Oct 18, 2009 11:30 IST

Highlight Story

Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association today termed as "shocking and unfortunate" the detention of a young cricketer in Bangalore after traces of explosives were found from his kit bag and sought an apology from the Bangalore Police, who later released the player for lack of evidence.

Parvez Rasool, a Under-22 cricketer from the militancy-hit state, was detained this morning from a room in the Karnataka State Cricket Association stadium after detectors found traces of RDX in his kit bag.

He was later released for lack of "evidence", said Police Commissioner Shankar Bidari.

Demanding an apology from the Karnataka Police, Saleem Khan, secretary of the Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association alleged that their cricketers were harassed by the police.

"I don't think they have any links. They have been playing for the last 4-5 seasons. They have been going to all states of the country. We are in touch with the team but the harassment is hundred percent. The police are harassing them to leave the stadium," Khan said.

Another member of the JKCA, Manzoor Wazir, was so peeved with the incident that he even went to the extent of saying that such issues had the potential to derail the peace process in the state.

"It's sad and unfortunate. It's a big shock to us. I have seen these boys grow as cricketers. We have absolute faith in their integrity and disciplined behaviour.

"I just see it as nothing than harassment. We are talking about normalising the situation but these sort of incidents can create repercussions," Wazir said.

A Jammu and Kashmir cricketer was on Saturday detained by the city police after explosive detectors found traces of RDX in his kit bag.

After the arrest, an official from the Jammu and Kashmir cricket Association had said that nothing has been found from the two
cricketers, picked up by the police for questioning.

"Our boys had gone to play some matches on Cuttack. From Cuttack they went to Bangalore yesterday. Before going to hotel they got accommodation through Karnataka Association in the stadium itself. Before going to stadium they were checked (this morning).

"The two boys had gone to police station. One is Pervez Rassol and other is Mehrazuddin. They are saying nothing has
been found from them," the official told a TV Channel.

Meanwhile, the Champions League matches scheduled to be played at Chinnswamy stadium on Saturday were played after a thorough check of the ground.