Fuming after his omission from the squad for the upcoming Twenty20 World Championship at home, South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis has resigned as the vice-captain and threatened to make himself unavailable for the national team in future.
"I have resigned as vice-captain and I'm considering my options with regard to the rest of my career," Kallis said.
"I have been thinking long and hard over the weekend and there is still a lot of emotion involved because I am extremely disappointed," Kallis was quoted as saying by the Mercury newspaper.
The ICC's top-ranked all-rounder Kallis, who has played 107 Tests and 261 one-day internationals for South Africa so far, was left out of the 15-member squad announced last week.
Keen to feature in the Twenty20 tournament at home from September 11 to 24, the 31-year-old Kallis said his best playing years were ahead but after the weekend development he would think whether to play for the country in the future.
"I was very excited about the tournament and hoping to make a huge contribution. I feel I have a lot of good cricket left and my best years might even be ahead of me. Ideally, I would like to play many more years for my country but this weekend caused me to question my future for the first time," he said.