Indian Premier League Chairman Lalit Modi on Sunday welcomed Shoaib Akhtar in the ongoing Twenty20 tournament after a Pakistani appeal tribunal suspended the five-year ban on the maverick speedster for a month, paving way for his participation in the IPL.
"Our condition (to allow him play in IPL) was that the ban must be lifted or suspended. In that effect, Shoaib is now allowed to play in the IPL. We've spoken to him and he should be coming to India in the next two days," Modi told NDTV.
The IPL chief said he was in touch with Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Nasim Ashraf, who confirmed that the five-year ban on Shoaib had been suspended by the three-member tribunal.
Shoaib's repeated violation of the player's Code of Conduct had invited a five-year ban from the PCB, which not only jeopardised his IPL participation but also his entire career.
Shoaib subsequently made an appeal against the ban and realising that a final verdict may take long, the pacer made a fresh appeal yesterday, requesting the tribunal to temporarily suspend the ban and allow him to take part in the IPL.
Modi said with the tribunal clearing the deck for Shoaib's participation for the remainder of the IPL, the speedster was naturally happy.