More good news for ICL, 18 new players join | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

More good news for ICL, 18 new players join

cricket Updated: Sep 29, 2007 01:47 IST
Robin Bose
Robin Bose
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Unfazed by the ongoing tactics of the Board of Cricket in India to ‘scuttle’ its efforts to run a parallel league in the country, the Indian Cricket League announced on Friday, albeit after a brief lull, a fresh list of 18 players who have ‘signed up’ for the ‘rebel’ league.



While the overseas players are Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Nathan Astle, Hamish Marshal (all New Zealand), Darren Maddy (England) and Azhar Mahmood (Pakistan), the domestic signings include Abu Nechim, Amit Uniyal, Aniruddh Singh, Gaurav Gupta, Love Ablish, Mihir Diwakar, Rakesh Patel, Abid Nabi Ahanger, Kiran Powar, S Sriram, Pritam Das and Nilesh Kulkarni.



Meanwhile, commenting on Mohammad Yousuf’s reconciliation with the Pakistan Cricket Board and the player’s decision “to do anything for his country”, Gaurav Seth, ICL’s marketing and communication head, told

Hindustan Times

: “As far as we are concerned, Yousuf is still with us. We have not received an official confirmation from him or his lawyers. We are a professional organization and Yousuf signed a legal contract, which is binding, and he’s been paid.”



Yousuf had been quoted by

Cricinfo

on Thursday as saying “I didn't know this clause in the ICL contract that priority had to be given to the league instead of Pakistan when international matches are happening simultaneously.”



To this, Seth remarked “We have no problems with his playing for Pakistan as long as it does not clash with our schedule. There’s no clause that he has to turn out exclusively for us.”



Asked if the ICL would take recourse to legal measures if Yousuf backed out, he said: “I don’t want to comment on speculation.”



Pressed further, he relented “Yes, that’s a course we can consider in case we get a confirmation.”



Asked for his reaction on the BCCI’s reported move to ban the Subhash Chandra-promoted Zee from bidding for any of its contracts on account of the latter’s alleged default on a telecast deal, Seth observed “We have read the reports, but I do not want to react right now, as it’s speculative. If the BCCI decides on such a move at its AGM (in Mumbai on Friday), we will consider it then.”