No plan to curb Twitter after Warner rant: Cricket Australia
Cricket Australia said today it had no immediate plan to curb the use of social media by players after a Twitter rant by David Warner, but suggested it could happen in the future.cricket Updated: May 21, 2013 13:17 IST
Cricket Australia said on Tuesday it had no immediate plan to curb the use of social media by players after a Twitter rant by David Warner, but suggested it could happen in the future.
Opening batsman Warner is due to face a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday into an alleged code of conduct breach after a heated tirade at two top cricket writers.
He faces sanctions ranging from a fine to suspension or counselling.
Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland would not comment on the Warner controversy but said using social media remained a key tool for players to engage with fans and promote the game.
"Absolutely (I'll encourage players to use social media) – it's very important," he told reporters.
"We want our players to be engaging with fans. Part of our strategy is to put the fans first and for them to have a closer and better relationship with our players."
Sutherland said there had been no discussions about developing a social media policy for players but admitted it might be something that needs to be considered.
"We haven't (discussed having a policy) so far," he said.
"We've worked with our players and helped them in training and development and understanding the pitfalls of it."
"It (social media policy) is not something we've talked about but perhaps down the track it might be appropriate."
"I guess we hope our players would be able to know where the lines are drawn and be able to manage that," he added.