Refuting PCB claims that India's cricket tour of Pakistan next year was confirmed, the BCCI has insisted that the fate of the series hinges on the mandatory security clearance from the government.
BCCI President Shashank Manohar said the Indian Board had not given any assurance to the PCB on going ahead with the tour.
"The tour will be finalised only when we get the clearance from the government. Nothing can be confirmed before that," said Manohar.
India will play three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match during the tour from January 13 to February 19.
But there is growing uncertainty over the tour's fate as Pakistan's security situation remains far from ideal. Earlier this month, the Indian government had refused permission to a junior hockey team to travel to Pakistan for a tournament.
Pakistan has been reeling under a series of high-profile cancellations. The Australians postponed their Test tour in April before the ICC was forced to cancel the September Champions Trophy due to the security fears expressed by member boards.
The Pakistani cricket team has gone without a Test this year and if Indian backs out of the next year's series, it would be a huge blow to the country's cricket.
The PCB is making desperate attempts to save the series and last evening issued a statement, saying Butt and Manohar had a telephonic discussion about the tour.
The PCB claimed that Manohar told Butt that he has written to his government for the clearance of the tour and the BCCI is expected to get a reply in the next ten to 12 days and the PCB would be informed accordingly.