The Pakistan Cricket Board fears that more players can defect to the ICL and has decided to prepare a concrete policy on cricketers joining the rebel league.
PCB Chairman Nasim Ashraf said there was a real threat of more Pakistani players signing up for the ICL, which had six cricketers from the country in its inaugural edition held in November and December.
"That is why when the governing body of the board meets on January 25 here, we will finalise a concrete policy on players going to the ICL," Ashraf said at a press conference here today.
"We don't want to destroy the careers of our players and we want them to earn well, but we cannot compromise and have to safeguard our interests," he said.
The board has banned former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Imran Farhat, Shabbir Ahmed, Taufiq Umar and Azhar Mahmood from playing domestic cricket after they took part in the inaugural ICL.
Senior batsman Mohammad Yousuf had also signed up for the ICL, but later he backed out and joined the BCCI-backed Indian Premier League.
Ashraf said the board was coming up with new ways of giving more financial incentives to its players and increasing their earnings.
"The players knew what they were doing when they signed contracts. But we still dont want to be harsh with any player.
"We will hold the Pakistan Premier League Twenty20 later this year and the idea is to let the players earn. But we cannot allow them to take part in competitions not approved either by us or the International Cricket Council (ICC)."
He said another important issue was finalising a policy on whether to allow players to go and play in English county cricket.
Ashraf said last year the board had compensated Umar Gul and Mohammad Asif for not allowing them to play county cricket.
"But we need a long term policy on this as well as we cannot afford to have our bowlers being burnt out because of extra workload. It is natural that if a county is paying a player well it wants the best from him. But players have to keep their priorities right," he said.