A notice has been issued to suspended IPL boss Lalit Modi for the revocation of his passport, with the government warning appropriate action would be taken if no reply is received by October 28.
Foreign secretary Nirupama Rao said on Friday that the notice was issued to Modi on October 13 with a 15-day timeline — asking him to “explain why action under relevant sections of Passports Act 1967 should not be initiated” against him
The External Affairs Ministry received a request from the Enforcement Directorate on October 5, seeking a revocation of Modi’s passport in “public interest in general and in the interest of thorough investigation” into alleged irregularities in the IPL.
Modi holds a passport issued in Mumbai in July 2008 and the notice had been issued by the Regional Passport Officer of Mumbai, Rao told reporters.
“The RPO, Mumbai, has confirmed Modi has not responded to the notice till yesterday (Thursday). If no reply is received within the stipulated time, action will be initiated,” the foreign secretary said.