SA board sacks selection committee | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 19, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

SA board sacks selection committee

Cricket South Africa has sacked the entire selection panel, Mike Procter, convenor of the selectors, said, a day after head coach Mickey Arthur resigned ahead of a tour to India.

cricket Updated: Jan 27, 2010 23:29 IST

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has sacked the entire selection panel, Mike Procter, convenor of the selectors, said on Wednesday, a day after head coach Mickey Arthur resigned ahead of a tour to India.

Procter told Talk Radio 702 that “a meeting held last week with CSA bosses did not go well.” “Whatever transpired at that meeting led them to get rid of Mickey and also the selectors,” Procter said.

“(CSA chief executive) Gerald Majola called me up and told me that the selection panel was dysfunctional. It was a huge shock to us all,” Procter said.

The former South Africa and Gloucestershire all-rounder disputed earlier reports that Arthur's departure was due to a clash with captain Graeme Smith. Newspaper reports on Wednesday suggested that the surprise resignation of Arthur, together with the dismissal of the selection panel, was linked to the contentious issue of quotas for more black players.