Sachin Tendulkar declines to speculate on future
Batting icon Sachin Tendulkar today declined to speculate whether he would play in the 2015 World Cup, saying that there was no point in looking "too far ahead". Pics: The winning moment | WC in numberscricket Updated: Apr 03, 2011 21:38 IST
Batting icon Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday declined to speculate whether he would play in the 2015 World Cup, saying that there was no point in looking "too far ahead".
Describing India's World Cup win as a dream he had been chasing for 21 years, Tendulkar said that he could not sleep last night because he could not believe that India had really become the world champions.
Asked if this would be his last World Cup and whether he would play in the next edition in 2015 to be held in Australia and New Zealand, Tendulkar replied, "All I will say is that it is a great moment, focus on this, enjoy this rather than looking back or too far ahead".
Tendulkar, who was speaking to reporters at a reception hosted in honour of the victorious team at Raj Bhavan, said "We should leave all that (speculation on his future plans) and enjoy this rare moment".
Asked if he was disappointed at missing a chance to make his 100th international century last night, Tendulkar said that was not relevant. The World Cup win was big and should be savoured.
Tendulkar's comments came in the backdrop of some speculation that he might consider retiring from ODI cricket so as to extend his Test career.
Earlier, speaking in a television programme, World Cup winning captains Imran Khan and Allan Border and legendary Vivian Richards, said a decision on whether to quit the shorter format of the game should be left to Tendulkar.
They noted that he had been playing some of his best cricket in all formats of the game in the last two years.