Another controversy surrounded Chief Selector Dilip Vengsarkar on Wednesday night following reports that he had been directed to select India's team for the third cricket Test against Pakistan after discussions over telephone, a move he says has humiliated him.
Vengsarkar, who had a run-in with the Cricket Board last week over his newspaper columns, has reportedly been told by the BCCI to discuss the team selection with four other selectors over telephone ahead of the third Test beginning in Bangalore from December 8.
No one from the Board was willing to confirm or deny reports about this directive to Vengsarkar, who was quoted by a TV Channel as saying that he was humiliated by the BCCI's behaviour and that it would be the first time that a team would be selected over phone.
"I have no comments to make on this," BCCI Secretary Niranajn Shah said when asked about the development.
The reports also said that Vengsarkar had requested the BCCI to shift the venue for the selection committee meeting and the Board responded with this directive.
The apparent reason for the BCCI's unprecedented directive was that selectors would end up missing the ongoing Ranji matches if they gathered for the selection committee meeting in Bangalore.
The latest development marked a new twist to the ongoing tussle between Vengsarkar and BCCI officials.