The third edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) is going to please those who watch it on TV.
The strategic breaks — intervals of seven-and-a-half minutes after 10 overs in each innings, introduced amid flak from almost every quarter in IPL II — are going to be shortened.
The mega event next year will witness two breaks of two-and-a-half minutes per innings, announced IPL chairman Lalit Modi on Tuesday.
“The bowling captain will call for the first break between the sixth and 10th over. The second break will be at the discretion of the batsmen at the crease, who can take it anytime between the 11th and 16th.”
The strategic break drew widespread criticism when the tournament took place in South Africa earlier this year. Not just TV viewers or spectators at the grounds, even players like Shane Warne said it made little sense.
The 'icon' status given to a player from each of the eight franchisees will also cease to exist from the third edition, Modi added.
“The icon status was for two years. It is no more mandatory for the franchisees to adhere to it. But it depends entirely on a franchisee to take the decision,” he said.