Test switched after Antigua 10-ball farce
West Indies cricket was plunged into fresh controversy yesterday when the second Test against England was abandoned after just 10 balls because of a dangerous outfield.cricket Updated: Feb 14, 2009 11:50 IST
West Indies cricket was plunged into fresh controversy on Friday when the second Test against England was abandoned after just 10 balls because of a dangerous outfield.
Only 45 minutes of action was possible at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground (SVRCG) before play was called off with England at 7-0 in their first innings.
International Cricket Council (ICC) referee Alan Hurst later revealed that a new match will start on Sunday at the long-established Antigua Recreation Ground (ARG) in St John's.
The second Test will be recorded as an abandoned match with the Sunday's game to be considered as the third Test of what is now a five-match series.
The ARG hosted 21 Tests between 1981 and 2006 before the Sir Vivian Richards Ground replaced it two years ago ahead of the World Cup.
West Indies bowlers constantly struggled to keep their feet on the soft SVRCG outfield which had been smothered in layers of sand after heavy rain.
West Indies captain Chris Gayle said the team was shocked by the developments.
"I'd like to apologise to the fans - it's very embarrassing," said Gayle.