* Don Bradman was the first cricketer to score a hundred in an India-Australia series. He made 185 at Brisbane in 1947-48.
* India in its first-ever Test against Australia, were all out for less than hundred in both innings. They made 58 & 98 at Brisbane, 1947-48.
* Don Bradman was out hit wicket just once in his glorious Test career. That happened against India at Brisbane in 1947-48.
* Kapil Dev, despite high fever and an injured knee, came back on the last day of the Melbourne Test during the 1980-81 series and took 5 for 28 to bowl Australia out for 83 runs and help India win.
* The Kanpur Test of the 1959-60 series was special in more ways than one. It witnessed the best bowling figures in a match for both teams. Jasu Patel took 14 wickets to make India's first victory against Australia possible. Alan Davidson took 12 wickets.
* Vijay Hazare became the first Indian to score centuries in both innings of a Test match. He made 116 and 145 at Adelaide in the 1947-48 series.
* India have never won a Test against Australia in Bangalore.
* India have been one of the teams to beat Australia despite following on.
* Five Indian batsmen were out twice on the same day of the Melbourne Test in 1947-48.
* Virender Sehwag has the distinction of scoring most runs in a day for India against Australia. He made 195 at Melbourne in 2003.
* Eleven Australians and four Indians have scored a century on debut against each other.
* The Chepauk Test match of the 1985-86 series ended in a tie. This was the second tied game ever.
Records in the offing….
76: Runs Sachin Tendulkar needs to equal Brian Lara's world record of most Test runs.
11: Wickets Brett Lee needs to become the 22nd bowler in Test history and 4th Aussie to take 300 wickets.
207: Runs required by Hayden to complete 1000 runs against India on Indian soil.
5: Wickets Lee needs to complete 50 against India.
1: Century Sachin needs to register 10 against Australia.
* History was made on September 22, 1986 at the Chepauk Stadium when only the second Test in history was tied. India needed four runs from the final over of the day but squandered their chance as Maninder Singh was given lbw to the last ball of the game with the scores level.
*.A zestful Harbhajan Singh, who took India's first hat-trick in the first innings in 2000-01 against Australia, took 6 for 73 in the second to spin India to the most unbelievable of wins.
*In eight Tests in India, Ricky Ponting has managed a grand total of 172 runs, with a highest of 60 - his only half-century in 14 innings here - and an average of 12.28.
* Most of Ponting's travails in India have been caused by spin, and by one particular exponent of the art. Harbhajan Singh has dismissed him eight times.In those eight innings Ponting averaged 9.50, and went into double figures only twice.