Two Pak players asked to stay back
It is learnt that the probe in Bob Woolmer's murder will be conducted in the presence of a jury at the earliest.cricket Updated: Mar 24, 2007 11:59 IST
The investigation into Bob Woolmer's murder took an unexpected turn on Friday with the Jamaican authorities ordering two of the Pakistani players to stay back while an inquest was conducted, local media has reported.
According to TV Jamaica, the two unnamed Pakistani players have been asked to remain in the country while the rest of the team are free to leave.
The inquest was to be conducted in the presence of a jury at the earliest possible time, TV Jamaica reported.
The news comes hours after Pakistan Cricket Board's outgoing chairman Nasim Ashraf said in Islamabad that the entire team would return home on Saturday and the only factor that was uncertain about their travel was their flight booking.
Jamaica DCP Mark Shields had earlier said that the police had not identified any suspect so far.
Earlier in the day, police took DNA samples of the Pakistani players now in Montego Bay.
Pakistan's cricket coach Woolmer was murdered in his Pegasus Hotel room on Sunday, throwing cricket into a turmoil and casting a shadow on the ongoing World Cup.
Police said on Thursday that the post-mortem report showed that Woolmer died due to asphyxia caused by manual strangulation.
Since there was no evidence of break-in, it is believed that Woolmer, 58, must have known the killer.
Given Woolmer's build, more than one might be involved, the police added.
The Pakistani players had earlier been questioned and finger-printed.