Warne return ‘fanciful’, says CA chief | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 18, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Warne return ‘fanciful’, says CA chief

Talk of Shane Warne coming out of retirement to rescue Australia’s stumbling Ashes campaign is “fanciful”, according to Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland.

cricket Updated: Dec 14, 2010 01:30 IST

Talk of Shane Warne coming out of retirement to rescue Australia’s stumbling Ashes campaign is “fanciful”, according to Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland.

Australia’s comprehensive innnings and 71-run defeat by England in Adelaide last week sparked media calls for the recall of the retired 41-year-old spin bowling great.

Sutherland, however, said octagenarian television commentator Richie Benaud, who last bowled a ball on the test stage in 1964, was as likely to pull on the baggy green cap again.

“Shane retired from Test cricket almost exactly four years ago and, by his own admission, he hasn’t touched a cricket bat or ball since the (Indian Premier League) IPL early this year,” Sutherland told Sydney’s Daily Telegraph.
“CA hasn’t spoken to him about playing and, while the selectors operate independently of CA management, I am not aware of them having any intention of talking to Shane.

English laugh off comeback calls
Perth: England coach Andy Flower laughed off suggestions Warne could make a shock Ashes comeback as Australia become increasingly desperate to find a way to win back the prized urn.

Warne has been romantically linked to English model and occasional film star Liz Hurley and also announced that he had again split with his wife Simone, with whom he has three children.

Speaking ahead of the third Test at the WACA ground in Perth, starting on Thursday, Flower laughed off any thought of Warne resuming his 145-Test career after almost four years out of the game.

“I am not surprised that it won’t go away,” he said of the Warne speculation with a broad grin. “But it is not going to happen.”

Oz Hauritz offloads Test gear: report
Sydney: Discarded Australian spin bowler Nathan Hauritz has marked his failure to return to the Test team by giving away some of his cricket gear during a yard sale, a report said on Monday.

Hauritz, overlooked for inclusion in the Australian team taking on England in the Ashes, was seen sitting in front of a cardboard box on Saturday outside his apartment in Sydney’s Coogee area, The Daily Telegraph said.

The 29-year-old gave away some of his heavy woollen Test sweaters during the sale, which included cricket books and generic sportswear among general household items, the tabloid said.