'We didn't know of IPL-II before finalising Eng tour'
Lanka Cricket rubbished Lalit Modi's claim that Arjuna Ranatunga was aware of the Lankan players' contract with the IPL's next edition when he finalised the now-cancelled tour of Eng scheduled for the same time period.cricket Updated: Nov 03, 2008 14:22 IST
Sri Lanka Cricket on Monday rubbished Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi's claim that its chairman Arjuna Ranatunga was aware of the Lankan players' contract with the IPL's next edition when he finalised the now-cancelled tour of England scheduled for the same time period.
"The Sri Lankan Cricket had got a letter in September last year from team captain Mahela Jayawardene seeking no objection for playing for inaugural Twenty20 in 2008 and there was no mention of playing for three years," SLC sources told PTI.
The sources said in reply, the Chief Executive of SLC Duleep Mendis in a letter dated Oct 1, 2007 said the SLC had no objection in allowing Jayawardene to play the inaugural IPL subject to being available to any commitments with Sri Lanka Cricket at any given time.
Subsequently, a few months ago, SLC Chairman Arjuna Ranatunga wrote to Sri Lankan players asking them to skip matches of IPL 2009 that coincide with the now-cancelled tour of England.
The players contended they had already committed to play for the Indian tournament.
Ranatunga blamed the IPL for a USD three million for SLC due to the cancellation of the English tour as the ECB was not prepared for matches against a second string Sri Lankan cricket team in the wake of commitments of the senior players towards the IPL.
Ranatunga had, in his letter, to the top players asked them to heed to the SLC's call by playing for the Sri Lankan team in their matches in England in April and May, 2009.