Younis unlikely to return to Tests against Australia | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Younis unlikely to return to Tests against Australia

cricket Updated: Jun 18, 2010 21:23 IST

IANS
Highlight Story

Younis Khan's plans to return to Test cricket against Australia in England received a jolt on Friday, when it was revealed that the former Pakistan captain might be banned again by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

PCB's legal advisor Talib Rizvi has said that Younis was not cleared despite the clearance issued by the PCB-appointed one-man tribunal - Justice (retd) Irfan Qadir - that set aside his indefinite ban earlier this month.

"I need to make it clear that Irfan Qadir, while removing the indefinite ban, ordered a remand of his case, seeking a fresh but defined ban for him,” Talib told The Express Tribune on Friday while explaining that Qadir was not content with the nature of the ban imposed since there was no time duration.

"Qadir asked for a new ban and because of this Younis is still not cleared and is ineligible to play for Pakistan.”

Younis was included in the 35-man squad for the Asia Cup and the tour of England, a notion enough to suggest that the PCB had decided to include him in future squads.

Talib added that the PCB will shortly issue a show-cause notice to Younis in which it would redefine the nature and length of the ban.

“It’s up to the chairman to decide the duration but I can confirm one thing that Younis will get the notice before the team’s selection for the tour of England tour that takes place on June 20,” said Talib before adding that all the punished players except Younis assured the chairman that they would not repeat their mistakes.

"The Akmal brothers and Shoaib Malik regretted their actions after their fines and bans were overturned but Younis and his lawyer kept on giving statements against the PCB.”

Meanwhile, Tafazzul confirmed that Younis’ lawyer Ahmed Qayyum, who was unavailable for comments, was aware of the outcome of the last hearing that was held on June 5. Qayyum, in an earlier statement, said he was ready for a second ‘battle’ with the board, if required.