Boucher rules out quick return

  • Reuters, Cape Town
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 08, 2012 23:52 IST

Mark Boucher, the former South Africa wicketkeeper, lost the lens, iris and pupil in the eye injury which forced him to announce his international retirement, he said Wednesday.


Boucher has already quit international cricket following the injury last month and said he was unlikely return quickly, or even at all, to the game after undergoing a series of operations.

The 35-year-old suffered a lacerated left eye after being struck by a bail during the Proteas' warm-up match against Somer-set in England last month.

"It is unlikely that I will play any professional cricket again in the near future, which is very unfortunate as I was looking forward to contributing as a player for the Cobras," he said.

"The risk of additional damage to my left eye or even damage to the other eye doesn't warrant it."

Boucher said that he was in the process of setting up a non-profit company which will help in the fight against rhinoceros poaching in Africa."

 

also read

England's Ian Bell retires from ODIs to prolong Test career

blog comments powered by Disqus