Michael Clarke's unbeaten 224 against SA on Thursday made him the first player in Test history to post four double tons in a calendar year.
* Clarke's fourth double ton in a single calendar year saw him go one up on compatriots Don Bradman (1930) and Ricky Ponting (2003).
* It was his fourth double as a captain. With five, only West Indian Brian Lara has more.
* Clarke also became the third player after Bradman and Wally Hammond to score two doubles in a series twice. Bradman is the only batsman to score three doubles in a series.
* Australia's 482 for five is the second-highest total after Day One of a Test. The highest is 494, posted by Australia against SA at Sydney in 1910.
* This is the second time Australia have scored 400 plus on Day One at Adelaide. The last time they lost to India.