People are fed up with Rawat govt, will dislodge it in 2017: BJP
The opposition BJP on Sunday came down heavily on the Harish Rawat-led Congress government, claiming that people were fed up with its faulty polices and would dislodge the ruling party in the 2017 assembly elections.dehradun Updated: Jan 04, 2016 17:37 IST
The opposition BJP on Sunday came down heavily on the Harish Rawat-led Congress government, claiming that people were fed up with its faulty polices and would dislodge the ruling party in the 2017 assembly elections.
“The people are alive to the faulty policies of the Congress government and its corruption. They have, therefore, made up their mind to dislodge it in the next election,” state BJP’s newly elected state president Ajay Bhatt said.
“All we need to do is to give a push and this (Congress) government will crumble as the people have decided to dislodge it,” he said addressing his maiden press conference after his election as the state BJP chief.
Bhatt alleged that the Rawat government had been playing into the hands of the land, mining and liquor mafia.
“People are very much aware of that…They are also alive to the dichotomy between the chief minister given to making announcements and not a single announcement of his translating on the ground,” he said.
Bhatt also alleged that the Rawat government had also failed on the law and order front.
“Small girls are being gang raped….brides are being kidnapped when they participate in their marriage ceremonies…stone mining mafia are openly attacking the officials,” he said.
Referring to divisional forest officer Saujanya by name, Bhatt alleged that she was attacked by the sand mining mafia when she tried to stop them from carrying out illegal activity.
The BJP leader also said there were no teacher at several state government-run schools.
“No different is the case of hospitals which have hardly any doctors,” he alleged, adding that the unemployment rate had shot up manifold owing to the government’s failure to create job opportunities for the local youth.
Bhatt said 30 lakh youth were unemployed. “Of these, 40,000 (youths) are those who are forced to sit in their homes after having completed degrees like the Master of Education (MEd) and Bachelor of Education (BEd),” he said.
Similarly, 10000 pharmacists were without jobs after completing their diploma whereas as many as one lakh engineers were unemployed.
He also accused the Rawat government of misusing huge chunks of central funds released for reconstruction of the Char Dham that was ravaged by the 2013 flashfloods. “There has been a bungling of Rs 200 crore in the reconstruction of the Chardham area,” he alleged.
The ruling Congress rubbished all these allegations. “Why is Bhatt maintaining silence on the medicine scam that took place when he was the state health minister in the BJP-led interim government,” Surendra Kumar, the chief minister’s media in-charge alleged in a statement.