Second swine flu death reported in U’khand

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Dehradun
  • Updated: Feb 15, 2015 19:23 IST

A second swine flu death has been reported in Uttarakhand this year even as private and government hospitals continue to receive suspected cases, officials said on Saturday.

Over 65 swabs of suspected cases have been sent to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in New Delhi for confirmatory test since January, they said.

Chief medical officer (CMO) SP Aggarwal said 50-year-old Gunjyari Lal Gupta, a resident of Dehradun, was admitted to a private hospital on February 4 with H1N1 symptoms. A report from NCDC on February 7 confirmed swine flu. He was kept under critical care but he died on Friday.

Earlier, a 40-year-old woman Mariam, resident of Roorkee, died of swine flu in the first week of February. Director general (DG) health GS Joshi said a suspect should immediately consult a doctor, preferably a government one and his swab sample be immediately sent to NCDC for test. He said the treatment becomes difficult when people ignore H1N1 symptoms.

Meanwhile, a report from Haridwar said a 40-year-old man was admitted to a private hospital with H1N1 symptoms. So far, 11 suspected cases have been reported in the district and only two have tested positive out of the total number of 12 in the state.

Chief medical superintendent (CMS) at Doon District Hospital RS Aswal looking at the spread of the flu all hospital nurses, staff members and doctors had been to observe precautionary guidelines.

Last year, at least 16 suspected cases were reported in the state but none of them had tested positive.

also read

‘Himalayan Viagra’ worth Rs 50 lakh seized in Ramnagar, one person arrested
Show comments