3 of a family found dead, suffocation likely to be cause | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

3 of a family found dead, suffocation likely to be cause

Three members of a family, including a four-year-old, were found dead in mysterious circumstances in their Nangloi home in west Delhi on Monday morning. Police are suspecting that the three died either due to suffocation or food poisoning. HT reports.

delhi Updated: Jan 08, 2013 00:22 IST
HT Correspondent

Three members of a family, including a four-year-old, were found dead in mysterious circumstances in their Nangloi home in west Delhi on Monday morning. Three other members were found unconscious and taken to the hospital.

Police are suspecting that the three died either due to suffocation or food poisoning. Their autopsy report is awaited only after which the cause of their death can be ascertained.

A brazier (angithi) was found in the room in which the six members of the family had been sleeping, which has led police to believe that the incident happened due to asphyxiation.

The victims have been identified as Prempal, 40, and his two sons Akhilesh, 17, and Vikas, 5.

Prempal's wife Devkali, 35, his daughter Laxmi, 10, and son Amit, 8, are undergoing treatment at the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial hospital. Their condition was reported to be critical, said police.

The incident was reported around 9.30am from Rajendra Park Extension in Nangloi, where Prempal, who worked in a paint factory, lived with his wife and four children.

The family hailed from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh and had been living in the area for the past three years.

A senior police officer said the family's neighbours got suspicious when none of them could be seen up and around till 9am and the main door remained locked. "Despite repeated knocks at the door, nobody responded.

The neighbours got worried. One of them peeped through the window and saw the family lying unconscious. He then sent his son to break open the door.

The son then managed to break the window and entered the house," said the senior officer, adding that the matter came to their notice after one of the neighbours made a call to the police control room.

"They were rushed to the hospital where doctors pronounced three of them dead on arrival. We found a burnt out brazier and some rice on the floor. The victims were frothing from their mouths. It may be due to suffocation or food poisoning," said the officer.