Aide of Ujjain prof’s son stabbed to death | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Aide of Ujjain prof’s son stabbed to death

In a twist to the H.S. Sabharwal murder case, a close aide of his son Himanshu was found stabbed to death in Delhi University campus, reports HT Correspondent.

delhi Updated: Jul 24, 2009 23:03 IST
HT Correspondent

In a twist to the H.S. Sabharwal murder case, a close aide of his son Himanshu was found stabbed to death in Delhi University campus.

Parvinder Singh (32) was part of a campaign against the acquittal of six ABVP activists accused of the murder of Professor H.S. Sabharwal.

Prof Sabharwal, head of the Political Science Department of Madhav College, Ujjain, died in August, 2006, after a fracas in the college over student union elections. He was allegedly beaten by the ABVP activists.

“He had gone there for a noble cause to seek justice for a man who was killed by some hoodlums. We did not know that he would die serving a just cause,” said Raj Kumar Singh (60), the victim’s father.

The body was found near Khalsa College in North Campus late Thursday night.

Police are exploring all the angles, including “attempted robbery” as Singh’s mobile phone was found missing.

Singh, a chartered accountant, was employed with Himanshu Sabharwal, son of the Ujjain Professor who died in August 2006.

A Nagpur court acquitted the six ABVP members who were accused of killing the professor.

“We are exploring all other angles including personal rivalry,” said Sagarpreet Hooda, DCP (north).

Singh last seen at 10.45 pm

Singh had accompanied Himanshu, an ad filmmaker and two others — Pooja Gaur and Mohammad Saif — to North Campus to paste posters for the protest march.

“I had dropped Singh at Faculty of Law around 10.45 pm on Thursday. His motorcycle was parked there. I left for home, I got a call from his brother around 1.30 am saying that he had met with an accident. I reached the hospital around 5 am and was told that he was dead,” said Himanshu Sabharwal.

Facebook friends

Himanshu had met Pooja Gaur, a documentary filmmaker, through Facebook. Saif, an English Honours student at Ramjas College, also came in contact with them through Facebook where he expressed his desire to help him in the cause. Before heading for DU, Himanshu, Gaur and Singh had met at The Park Hotel where they reportedly discussed the strategy for peace march.

“I wanted to be a part of the protest march. Met Singh for the first time on Thursday and last saw him around 10.45 pm,” said Gaur.

Fiancée questioned

“After I heard about Singh’s death, the first person I texted was my fiancée. The police called her for interrogation, as they wanted to know how she knew Singh. He was my right hand,” said Himanshu.

Singh’s valuables intact

Police found Singh’s motorcycle near the body and all valuables, including gold chain, on him.

Family has no suspects

“We do not suspect anyone. When he did not return till 11.30 pm we got worried and called on his mobile phone that was switched off. It was then we called Himanshu who told us that he had left him more than an hour ago. Around 2 am we received call that he has died,” said Kailash Chand, Singh's elder brother.

Body bore five stab wounds

Singh’s body bore five stab wounds, one of them on his right skull.