AIIMS yet to act against accused doctor
Eight days after a doctor allegedly molested an eight-year-old boy at AIIMS, the institute is yet to take any concrete action against him.delhi Updated: Feb 01, 2011 02:02 IST
Eight days after a doctor allegedly molested an eight-year-old boy at AIIMS, the institute is yet to take any concrete action against him.
The resident doctor is accused of sexually abusing the boy, who had been operated on a brain tumour that left him blind in one eye. AIIMS has only stopped him from treating patients and attending classes. The doctor has left the campus.
An AIIMS source said on condition of anonymity, "We deliberated over the suspension bit but there's no ground for that as of now. By Tuesday, when the report comes in, we'll have a clearer picture."
A committee is investigating the complaint and the accused doctor may be sacked if found guilty. In a written complaint to the hospital administration on January 24, the boy's parents accused the doctor of trying to have oral sex with their son in the doctors' duty room on January 23, a day before he was to be discharged.
The boy was recovering after a brain surgery on January 20. No medical examination, however, was done since it wasn't a case of sodomy, said YK Gupta, public relations officer, AIIMS.
A complaint was also filed with the police on Monday under sections covering unnatural offences, criminal intimidation and attempting to commit offences punishable with life imprisonment.
"A doctor may be involved, but whether it's the same doctor can only be ascertained after a probe. So, a case has been registered against a 'pseudo-personality'," said a police officer on condition of anonymity.