Anand Parbat murder: Delhi Police plan notice to Kejriwal
With the autopsy report of the 19-year-old woman killed in central Delhi’s Anand Parbat on July 16 stating she was stabbed eight times — contrary to the state government’s advertisement which claims she received 32 wounds to her body — the Delhi Police now plans to send a notice to the government to take down the ‘misleading ads’.delhi Updated: Jul 26, 2015 07:38 IST
With the autopsy report of the 19-year-old woman killed in central Delhi’s Anand Parbat on July 16 stating she was stabbed eight times — contrary to the state government’s advertisement which claims she received 32 wounds to her body — the Delhi Police now plans to send a notice to the government to take down the ‘misleading ads’.
These advertisements, which have been on air from Monday, are the latest flashpoint in an ongoing tussle between the state government and the lieutenant governor over control of the Capital. Key departments such as law and order do not report to chief minister Arvind Kejriwal due to Delhi’s unique position as the national capital.
Police sources said the notice sent to the government would also ask Kejriwal, deputy CM Manish Sisodia and other Aam Aadmi Party leaders to share the source through which they learnt the victim was stabbed 32 times.
A similar notice would be sent to radio and TV channels, asking them to edit out the misleading content from the advertisements.
“So far, radio and TV channels have been told informally to take down the misleading content in the ads. A formal notice will follow if the objectionable content is not edited out. A violation of this notice could result in legal action,” said a police officer. “Since the advertisements claims are far from reality, and could affect the way the public perceives the Delhi Police, it is our legal right to get it removed,” the officer added.
When contacted, sources in the Delhi government said they have not received any communication from the police with regard to the advertisements.
“The ad has been on air for a week and, if needed, we will continue with it. However, if the Delhi Police have any objection, they must write to the chief secretary so that he can send a file to the CM. It is up to the CM whether he wants to drop the ad or continue with it or modify it,” an official said, requesting anonymity.
In a related development on Saturday, the chief minister apologised for calling the police ‘thulla’. He told ABP News that he meant to use the word against those officers who harassed poor people for money, and that he never intended to use it against honest policemen.
According the postmortem examination conducted on July 17, the victim had received four stab wounds to her lower body, and other wounds were incisions to her forearms, neck and upper body.
Delhi Police commissioner BS Bassi told media persons: “A postmortem report is part of any investigation. And since the investigation is going on, it would not be right to discuss it now. Once the probe is complete and the charge-sheet in prepared, we will hand over the postmortem report to the court.”