Another Mumbai blast convict moves SC | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 23, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Another Mumbai blast convict moves SC

SC on Tuesday issues notice to the CBI on the bail plea of a woman, convicted and sentenced to five years in jail for her role in the 1993 Mumbai terror blasts.

delhi Updated: Jul 31, 2007 18:20 IST

The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the bail plea of a 64-year-old woman convicted and sentenced to five years in jail for her role in the 1993 Mumbai terror blasts.

A bench of Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan issued notice to the CBI seeking its reply within three weeks on the petition by Zaibunnisha Anwar Quazi, who had been awarded jail term in June by a special court in Mumbai.

Appearing for Zaibunnisha, senior advocate Sushil Kumar pleaded to the court that his client had been convicted last November on charges of being aware of the conspiracy of the Mumbai serial blasts of March 12, 1993 but not sharing the information with the police.

Kumar said that she was sentenced to five years imprisonment and was taken in custody following her conviction under Sections 5 and 6 of the Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA).

He pleaded for bail to her, saying she was a 64-year-old woman and had been on bail during the trial.

He said that his client also wanted to challenge her conviction and the sentence but was not able to do so as the Mumbai anti-terror court was yet to provide the copies of the judgement of the convictions.

Kumar said he would come to the apex court seeking stay on her conviction after she got the copies of the judgement.