The Bar Council of India (BCI) has decided not to cut down on the intake of students for this academic session.
The council has also decided that for this year the varsity can conduct evening classes for the second and third year students who have already enrolled with the faculty. In a meeting held on Saturday, the BCI decided that for this year the university can admit 2,310 students as advertised.
Earlier in a report sent to the university, the BCI had said that the university could not take more than 1,440 students, 480 in each of its three centres. Following this, the aspirants and students’ body had protested and even launched a hunger strike. Six aspirants had even moved the Delhi high court against the BCI order, thereby putting the admission process on hold.
“The standing committee of the BCI has considered the request made by the registrar that as a one-time concession, 2,310 students may be permitted to be admitted for only this academic session,” said Manan Kumar Mishra, BCI chairman.
So this session university will admit 767 students in each of the three centres—Law Centre-I, Campus Law Centre (CLC) and Law Centre—II.
Students said that this was a victory for them which would have otherwise risked the future of more than 1,000 aspirants.