Blueline mayhem continues: two more killed, toll 96
The capital's Blueline buses continue their killer run even as angry citizens hold protest demonstrations.delhi Updated: Oct 10, 2007 15:11 IST
The capital's Blueline buses on Tuesday continued their killer run and claimed two more lives, taking the toll in such accidents to 96 this year even as angry citizens held protest demonstrations.
Sunil Kumar, 24, was crushed under the wheels of a Blueline bus plying on Route No 427 between Mehrauli and Nizamuddin railway station while he was crossing the road near a traffic signal in Ambedkar Nagar.
The accident took place opposite Pushp Vihar Bhavan at around 2.30 p.m.
According to police, Kumar, a resident of the locality, was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where doctors declared him brought dead.
Kumar became the 96th victim of privately run city buses this year.
Police said the driver and the conductor of the bus fled after the accident. The bus was impounded.
Earlier in the day, a 23-year-old man was crushed to death in Noida under the wheels of a Blueline bus that hit his motorcycle from behind.
According to police, the victim, identified as Rajiv Kumar Shukla, was making a wrong manoeuvre and came directly in contact with the speeding bus. He was hit from behind and the bus dragged him for a few metres.
Shukla, a resident of Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi, died on the spot. The driver and the conductor of the bus managed to flee the spot.
After the accident, an agitated mob damaged the bus and tried to set fire to it but police prevented them from doing so.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Noida) A Satish Ganesh told IANS that a drive was launched against law-flouting Blueline buses in Noida, on the outskirts of the capital.
"We have increased the traffic police strength which will keep a strict vigil over Blueline buses entering Noida. Permits and licences of the drivers will be inspected minutely," he said.
Tuesday's death come amid public uproar over reckless driving by Blueline bus drivers, especially in the aftermath of Sunday's accident in which seven people - five women, a four-year-old toddler and a man - were killed and eight sustained injuries.
After a speeding Blueline mowed them down in south Delhi, the Delhi High Court came down heavily on the state government on Monday and directed it to file a report by Thursday.
Delhi Police also launched a renewed drive to tame errant drivers. Delhi Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said: "From now on, the Blueline bus drivers found driving rashly will be charged under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) besides the Motor Vehicles Act. The buses will be impounded too.
"In the near future, we are going to deploy the full strength of traffic police at nights to check all the heavy vehicles entering Delhi," he said, adding that over 50 police control room (PCR) vans with specially trained officials will patrol city roads.
But the Delhiites see no respite from the Blueline mayhem. Citizens groups on Tuesday staged demonstrations in west Delhi's Raja Garden area and at the busy ITO traffic signal in central Delhi, demanding immediate resignation of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Transport Minister Haroon Yusuf.
The protesters also torched their effigies and shouted slogans against the government: "Sheila Dikshit istifa do, Blueline ko sadko se hatao" (Sheila Dikshit resign, take Blueline buses off the roads).
"The government has gone blind. Nearly 100 people have been crushed to death under Blueline buses this year. How many more innocent people the government wants to be killed," asked Paramjeet Kaur, a protester.