Even a top-level meeting with the Delhi Police of all the major players in the BPO sector was not able to bring them to their senses. The BPO companies have time and again flouted all rules concerned with the safety of female employees in their organisation despite repeated reminders and stern warnings.
Like in the Wednesday’s incident, the cabdriver allegedly dropped the 30-year-old woman on the secluded stretch of Dhaula Kuan when he actually was supposed to drop her and her colleague in front of their houses.
Right after a 19-year-old BPO employee and also a first-year correspondence student of Delhi University who was allegedly abducted by four men including an auto rickshaw driver and a juvenile in the Capital on November 3, the crime branch of Delhi Police along with NASSCOM — the premier trade body and the chamber of commerce of the IT-BPO sector, called for a meeting of top BPO companies. The meeting was held last week.
“In that meeting we told them to take necessary steps to provide security to their female employees. We had asked them specifically to give utmost important to the security of woman employees while they were picked from home and then dropped,” said Ashok Chand, deputy commissioner of police (crime).
Ironically, the company in which the 30-year-old Manipuri woman was working also attended the meeting.
Even though the Delhi Police have issued several advisories to the BPO companies but still not much have been done to ensure the safety of their female employees.
The police are also questioning the BPO company in the matter and why the safety norms were not followed.
The police on their part have started a drive to safeguard the women who work in organisations with graveyard shifts. They have also sent letters to companies in both Delhi and NCR. An advertisement on the guidelines on security of women in BPOs is also published from time to time.