CBI removes 2G prosecutor for leaking strategy
The CBI has taken its prosecutor off the 2G case for allegedly sharing the agency’s trial strategy with an accused in the case reportedly identified as Unitech managing director Sanjay Chandra. HT reports.delhi Updated: Feb 12, 2013 01:08 IST
The CBI has taken its prosecutor off the 2G spectrum scam case for allegedly sharing the agency’s trial strategy with an accused in the case reportedly identified as Unitech managing director Sanjay Chandra.
CNN-IBN on Monday broadcast a 17-minute-long purported conversation between prosecutor AK Singh and Chandra in which Singh is heard giving “advice” on ways to muddle the court proceedings and how a particular prosecution witness would depose. The channel, however, said it couldn’t independently verify the authenticity of the tape.
A preliminary enquiry had been registered by the CBI against Singh and Chandra to verify the allegations, an agency spokesperson told HT.
“Both of them were examined by the investigators on Monday. Singh has been removed and another prosecutor appointed,” said the spokesperson.
Chandra denied having any phone conversation with the prosecutor or meeting him outside the court.
Singh was unreachable when HT tried to contact him.
"Sanjay Chandra is currently unavailable owing to bereavement in his family… he denies the suggestion that his voice is on any alleged recording. It appears a fabricated voice-recording has been sent anonymously to the CBI," Unitech spokesperson said.
A CBI official declined to confirm whether they knew the identity of the sender. "We will get to the bottom of every aspect of the case," said the official.
Singh was part of the CBI's 2G scam legal team headed by senior lawyer UU Lalit, who was appointed the special public prosecutor in the case.
According to sources, the CBI received a copy of the alleged conversation around 10 days back and a preliminary enquiry registered six days later. Initial probe suggests that the conversation could have taken place in September.
CBI director Ranjit Sinha, who will on Tuesday appear before the joint parliamentary committee on 2G, confirmed to CNN-IBN that his investigators were in possession of the same conversation.