Centre goes on-line with Naxal-hit states
Cracking its whip on Maoists, the Union Home Ministry issues orders to nine-Naxal hit states through tele-conferencing for the first time, asking them to take all precautions.delhi Updated: May 26, 2008 22:12 IST
Cracking its whip on Maoists, the Union Home Ministry issued orders to nine-Naxal hit states through tele-conferencing for the first time, asking them to take all precautions.
Stung by repeated Naxal attacks in different areas, Special Secretary (Internal Security) M L Kumawat sounded the alert to Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Maharashtra.
The on-line meeting on Friday was held after the sensational loot of Rs 5.5 crore from a private bank in Jharkhand on May 21.
Sources said Kumawat and Additional Secretary (Naxal Management) Vinay Kumar discussed the safety measures to be taken while transferring heavy cash, explosives, arms and ammunition from one place to another.
Extremists had hijacked a bank vehicle in Jamshedpur and escaped with the booty.
The sources said orders have been issued to Naxal-affected states that they should ask banks to inform police about any heavy transaction or transfer of fund so that such an incident did not recur.
With railways becoming the main target of the ultras, the Home Ministry also asked the affected states to tighten security measures at railway stations and railway police stations to prevent loot of arms and ammunition, as witnessed last month in Bihar.