Charges pile up against Dinakaran
Controversial Karnataka High Court Chief Justice P D Dinakaran seemed headed for serious trouble on Monday, with the Tamil Nadu government having sent a fresh report to the Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan on his alleged attempts to destroy evidence of land grabbing.delhi Updated: Oct 12, 2009 23:39 IST
Controversial Karnataka High Court Chief Justice P D Dinakaran seemed headed for serious trouble on Monday, with the Tamil Nadu government having sent a fresh report to the Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan on his alleged attempts to destroy evidence of land grabbing.
Justice Dinakaran, who belongs to Tamil Nadu and was a judge in the Madras High Court for 12 years before moving to Karnataka in 2008, has denied all the allegations of land grabbing and corruption.
Last week, the collector of Justice Dinakaran’s native Tiruvallur district, on the directions of CJI, had sent him a report, confirming the allegations.
Following this, the Supreme Court’s panel of top judges responsible for appointment and promotion (collegium), had on Saturday put his name on hold for elevation to the SC.
The latest report, second in a week by the district collector, is understood to have detailed attempts to remove fencing from the land allegedly encroached in judge’s name, HT has learnt.
“Two senior revenue officials who rushed to the spot... after receiving reports of fence being removed... have complained that they were threatened on phone,” said a state government official, not willing to be named.
One of the officials, who went to the village to inspect the land, tehsildar (revenue administrative officer) R. Vijayaraghavulu confirmed the allegation.
“On reaching the village, a person claiming to be the manager of the property asked me to talk to someone on the phone. The person on the other side, threatened and said he was a judge and would get a case registered against me,” he told reporters.
Tiruvallur District Collector V Palanikumar declined to comment.
Justice Dinakaran was among the five judges recommended for promotion to the apex court on August 27, but following resistance, the collegium has been forced to keep his name in abeyance.
It is not clear whether the collegium would send a fresh recommendation to the government, asking for the other four names to be cleared, and if so, by when.