Chidambaram confers with PM as government condemns Maoist attack | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Chidambaram confers with PM as government condemns Maoist attack

Home Minister P Chidambaram met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today evening as the government condemned the Maoist attack on "hapless civilians" in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh that left at least 50 dead, the second such murderous assault in 40 days in the state.

delhi Updated: May 17, 2010 22:00 IST

Home Minister P Chidambaram met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday evening as the government condemned the Maoist attack on "hapless civilians" in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh that left at least 50 dead, the second such murderous assault in 40 days in the state.

"We strongly condemned the attack by Maoists on hapless civilians," the home minsitry said.

Ministry spokesperson Omkar Kedia said a passenger bus carrying 25 civilians and as many 25 special police officers (SPO) was going from Gadiras to Bhusaras in Dantewada district of the state when it was blown up by an improvised explosive device (IED).

The Maoists are acting in desperation, he said.

He said the SPOs were basically civilians assisting police in fighting the Maoists and were attached to Dantewada police.

The IED was planted on a metalled road and detonated by the left-wing extremists using a remote-controlled device.

A total of 75 paramilitary troopers and one local policeman had been killed in a Maoists ambush in the Dantewada forests on April 6.

Chidambaram had then offered to resign, taking responsiblity for the deaths, but the prime minister had asked him to continue as had the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that said the need of the hour was to stand united in the country's battle against the extremists.