City hotels fear cancellations
Hotel chains in the national capital region (NCR) are a worried lot. Wednesday's blast outside Delhi high court has shaken up their patrons' confidence, resulting in cancellations of bookings. Different takesdelhi Updated: Sep 08, 2011 02:21 IST
Hotel chains in the national capital region (NCR) are a worried lot. Wednesday's blast outside Delhi high court has shaken up their patrons' confidence, resulting in cancellations of bookings.
This has triggered concerns in the hospitality industry that earns bulk of its revenues from the city during the busy autumn and winter months. And the season is just about to start.
"Our customers expressed concern over the security scenario in Delhi while cancelling bookings," she added.
Smaller players too reported a similar scenario.
"There has been a sudden drop in occupancy levels to the tune of 15% to 20%, due to the blasts," said Amitabh Sanduja, executive vice-president of Atlantic Hotels that runs Hometel brand of hotels.
Experts say leisure travellers are among the first to change their travel plans in the aftermath of such incidents.
Chief operating officer of the Le Meridien, Delhi, Tarun Thakral, said there had been no cancellations and said: "I fear there could be some cancellations over the next few days. The problem could compound if the UK or US issue adverse travel advisories about India citing security concerns."
KB Kachru, executive vice-president South Asia, Carlson Hotels that runs the Radisson and Country Inns and Suites group of hotels, concurs.
"As a reflex action to the blasts there have been concerns and the mood is cautious. This may impact the leisure business."
"But any impact on the corporate business would be seen only in the weeks to come," he adds.
Some hotel chains, however, brushed aside any fears of cancellations.
"It was business as usual for us," said a spokesperson for the Taj Palace at Sardar Patel Marg, New Delhi.
A spokesperson for Hilton Worldwide in India too denied any cancellations.